We started this journey many years ago, knowing that our daughter was waiting for us somewhere in China. That journey began in 2004, but after a setback healthwise, we had to pull out, thinking our hopes were dashed forever. Then in late 2005, with renewed purpose and strength we again began the process of our adoption. We were logged into China March 28th, 2006, and were matched with our Dear Daughter, October 13th, 2009. GOTCHA 12/14/09 Forever Ours 12/15/09

12/29/09 What A Difference A Day Makes

Today we braved the frigid cold and had our first train ride into Manhattan. We had our Doctor's appt. with the renowned Dr. Jane Aronson, International Pediatrician. She has many high profile clientele such as Angelina Jolie's adopted children. I figure if that's good enough for the Brangelina gang, it's good enough for us. Hell, they could afford anybody they wanted ! We're in great hands.

Before I go on about our trek into the City, I want to recap on last night for a bit. After my long post, I gathered up my little girl, and off to bed we went...... she fussed a bit going into the crib, but oddly enough, she let me lay her down, and though I could tell she wasn't happy, she fell asleep, while I watched on. Wow, couldn't believe it..... so then I thought, I've got to make it out of the room, and never thought that would happen, but sure enough it did. I crawled into my bed just on the other side of the wall, and set my monitor sound to high..... then I drifted off, into much needed restful sleep. The crying began a couple of hours later, and I definitely took a little time to realize the here and now, and go next door. A quick diaper change, a cuddle and a hug, and I placed her down again, and this time, strange though it seemed, she drifted off right before my eyes.

Back in bed, and very comfy, I too, got some much need rest, and again heard the faint cries a couple of hours or so later..... this time, changed the diaper again, but for some reason, didn't feel comfortable just putting her down..... this time, I was still groggy, and wanted my bed, THIS TIME, I took her with me, and I have to say the two of us snuggled, and the two of us drifted off into oblivion and woke somewhere in the vicinity of 8 a.m. This time, my little girl woke with a big grin on her face, and this time, so did I.

We thoroughly loved Dr. Aronson...... and I can't believe just how wonderful and knowledgeable she is. The blood draw was enough to rip my heart out, having to use her Jugular Vein.... that was more traumatic than I care to think about again. Baylon is in the 13th percentile of weight, and 56th percentile for height.... but I have to check those numbers, doing this from memory, and may be a tad off, but I do believe that's what I heard.

It didn't take long before Baylon warmed up, and began captivating everyone. She is perfectly healthy, except for Vit. D deficiency, enough to show early signs of Ricketts, and we have some prescription Vitamins to correct this.

She is no longer to be on formula, but introduced to Milk, or Soy Milk. I still have to research the Organic Milk farmers in the area, so for now, it's just easier to go Soy. She's to have 12 to 14 ounces a day, and to eat EVERYTHING we do except nuts & popcorn....... it's very important for her to feed herself, and have the hand, eye coordination, and to discover the thrill of eating all of those wonderful foods that she's never tasted before. For the next two weeks, we are to have a field day, and make every meal delicious and fun..... after two weeks of this, Baylon should start settling in, and the sleeping should get easier.... there is a whole basis behind this, but once again, I'm drained and not thinking as clearly, or shall I say, not having the most accurate recall. Will go over my paperwork and clarify things tomorrow.

In the meantime, she passed everthing, (other than the unknown labs), but passed everything with flying colors. The Doctor thought that not only was she beautiful, SMART, and comical, she was "CHARMING" !! We've always thought so.

After our workup, and prior to the 2 innoculations that aren't given in China, that she was to received, we met with a Psychotherapist that is among a network of people that Dr. Aronson incorporates in her practice. They all seem to have formed a circle of knowledge, readily available for each of their patients. I was so eager to speak with this woman, and get some answers to all of those aching questions I've been toting around.

Mostly, we spoke about Baylon's bonding issues, of which, she's doing a fine job...... but we gained insight into the co-sleeping, pick her up/ don't pick her up mindset. The bottom line is, that Baylon should be picked up when she cries, held when she cries, and even brought into bed for either co-sleeping or partial co-sleeping....... whichever fits better into our lifestyle. She feels that an adoptive child under 2 or 3, can benefit from the security of this situation and it will set her up as a stronger more emotionally stable individual later in life..... again, I'm tired, and really need to post this when I have clearer thoughts, but I've been gathering quite a following reading my posts, and want to respond to today's events, and followup on last nights posting.

So, there you have it....... I feel completely more optimistic. I have been so afraid that I would be injuring my daughter by making mistakes.... but now I have some insight into her mindset, and a team of professionals available to help me.

Lastly, we have some more tests to go through.... we need to see an audiologist, and an optomologist (spelling)....? run some fecal tests to rule out parasites and giardia, see a Pediatric Dentist, and then return to Dr. Aronson in 8 weeks for followup.... In the meantime, she requested that I interview some local Pediatricians to take over as Baylon's Doctors. She gave me some criteria to look for..... find out the patient base, how many of those patients are Internationally Adopted, what hospital they are affiliated with, if they have sick hours, as well as well visit time, and lets see.... there's more, just not remembering quickly enough...... oh, what's their response time for emergency calls, general calls, do they use a service.....hmmn...... lets leave this here for now, my head is spinning.

Now, my biggest decision, is do we bring her upstairs into our room, and place her pack n play there for a bit, do I keep her downstairs...... I'm currently voting to move back upstairs....... # 1 Miss my hubby....... # 2.... It's warmer, VBG ! It's so cold down stairs... that's the older part of the house, and somehow, even though there are two heating systems, the heat down there doesn't warm up, quite like upstairs.... we need some electric heaters down there.

It seems that Baylon is psyched and quite comfy with the days events, as she passed out and never fussed when we lay her down in the pack n' play...... the picture that I placed at the top of this post, was taken just as I began writing... other than the addition of another blanket, nothing has changed.

I do believe that we firmly, undeniably, LOVE, Dr. Jane Aronson.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, calls and emails...... tonight, we stay in the living room for a while..... will figure plot new course in the morning.


1 comment:

Brandy said...

Oh, that's so great to know. I was praying you'll get enough answers from the Dr's visit to move forward. Again, congrates.